Saturday, March 03, 2007

ASCII

The other day I happened to look at the ASCII table and was surprised that I had never read and understood the C0 control characters! For something I've used for so long I thought that was pretty funny :) Way, way back when I started programming with QBasic I remember looking at the table but all the non-printable stuff looked "too complicated" so I just ignored them. I suppose I should have looked again when they weren't too complicated any more.

In my previous job there were a number of ASCII/Binary protocols that used STX (02) and ETX (03) for framing transmission. This now makes a whole lot more sense...

Oh and software flow control seems quite simple now. I'd assumed there was some sort of escape sequences to do this but hey, there's the characters right there!

No comments: